Monday, February 21, 2011

Lets Rodeo San Antonio!

Diving head first into the Texas Cultural, we headed to our first rodeo! I wasn't quite sure what to expect. As we approached, the familiarity of carnivals and fairs drove a connection. Carnival rides, games and food were set up outside the arena. The smell of BBQ, funnel cakes and french fries pulled us into the food first. As a new comer, I felt it was only my duty but to try a few things. =)

As I sat and ate, I noticed how big of a minority my flip flops were. Big, small, pink, brown, leather, pleather... they came in all shapes and shades and were everywhere. My flip flops were in a sea of cowboy boots!!  As I stepped into a puddle of mud my bare toes became wet and dirty, I realized why they were wearing boots. But once a flip flop girl aways a flip flop girl. Sorry boots.

The actual rodeo was really pretty exciting. I have no idea how they do it or why they would want to be slung around like a rag doll on a live animal, buy hey, to each is own right? It was fun to watch.

During a break they let some kids, young inspiring "rodeo-ers?" chase calf's around the arena and try to catch them. This seemed like a different world from what I was doing as a little kid. Body surfing and rolling around in the sand, catching sand fleas and building sand castles. It's fun to experience the difference.   

Next year I legitimately get to say "This isn't my first rodeo."

2 comments:

  1. I am glad there is a way to keep up with you! Have been thinking of you and wishing you lots of fun in your new town. Love ya, wyum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute :) I like it and glad we can be little bloggette's together!!

    Love,
    bean

    ReplyDelete